Monday, September 15, 2008

What's that old Lynyrd Skynyrd song?

You know..."That Smell"?

Well, today on the way home from work, my beautiful bride texted me the following message:

"The dryer smells like dead animal." Great.

When I got home, I checked the dryer, and didn't smell anything. For a minute, I really thought she was imagining things. That is, until I got down behind the dryer and took a good sniff. Yup, dead animal smell. I disconnected the vent hose, and dumped it out. No animal there, just a little lint.

So, I got down on the floor behind the dryer and looked into the vent pipe. Looking into the shadowy pipe, I couldn't see anything at first, but then a shape became noticeable in the darkness...a grey shape with a long tail. Thankfully, not moving.

So I donned a plastic bag on my hand, reached in, and pulled out the source of the offending odor, a dead mouse.

I guess it must have climbed up into the dryer vent outside, and then found itself hurtling down the 4 feet of hose to a place from where there is no escape. What a way to come home from work on a long Monday!

I'm just thankful it didn't somehow work it's way into the dryer by the clothes. That could have been a disaster! I wonder what the rest of the week has in store??

No comments: